January 31, 2011




Cool Collector # Art Files

San Francisco based artist Jason Mecier has a very funny way of working. He makes 3d celbrity portraits of stuff they threw away themselves. He uses junk and discarded items donated by top stars, so yes…that Trojan condom box in the top left corner of Tina Fey‘s portrait actually came from Tina herself. Mecier has spent over 10 years creating outrageous portraits and is now so popular that stars contact him directly and pay $1,500 for a portrait, which he gladly makes from a bag of their junk that they provide.
Celebs who have asked for the portraits include Chris Rock, Pink, Tori Spelling and Chelsea Handler, whose portrait includes empty vodka bottles, a Snuggie box, Martini glasses, bottle opener, buttons, batteries, chapstick, dice, pens, badges and movie tickets. Jason still has a few celebs he’d like to do portraits of – including Justin Bieber, Lindsay Lohan, Judge Judy, Joan Rivers and Beyonce. 

”The celebrity culture art theme has always been there. As kid I remember obsessively clipping and scrap-booking pictures from the TV Guide of my favorite shows.I enjoy trying to match the items with the essence of each unique subject. These days, much of my material is gifted to me from friends, family, fans and of course the celebrities themselves,” he said.

”When I became established as an artist celebrities began sending me their things. Most people send me anywhere from a shoebox to a trash bag full of things to incorporate into their portraits.”
At first I found it quit a original concept. But looking at the portraits I'm sort of confused about their 'random' trash, don't really believe this trash is based on the coincidence of what the celebrity's threw away that particular day. Like Tori Spelling, I'm really sorry but her trash is the trash of a six-year-old! If they send him dirty tampons, empty cans of cat food and and real trash, I would find it a lot more interesting! On the positive site, celebrity's do like to recycle ;). 

0 reacties: